Riding a motorcycle in New Hampshire can be an exhilarating way to travel on the road. But doing so also comes with significant safety risks. Before you hit on the road on your motorcycle, review the following top causes of motorcycle accidents and safe driving tips.
Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Motorists fail to see riders when they are coming out of a driveway, making a left turn in front of an oncoming rider or when the motorcycle is in the driver’s “blind spot.”
- Many riders do not obtain the proper motorcycle license and training to learn how to properly operate the bike.
- Riders speed excessively while also weaving in and out of traffic lanes.
- Riders are under the influence of drugs or alcohol—the cause of almost half of all motorcycle accidents.
Safety Tips for Motorcycle Drivers.
- Attend motorcycle training courses and get a license specifically for a motorcycle.
- Always wear a helmet and other appropriate gear.
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs while operating a motorcycle.
- Practice safe driving by using the controls and gears while your bike is off and parked.
- Follow posted speed limits.
- Look out for hazards such as potholes, cracks and bumps in the road.
- Exercise extreme caution when you are carrying passengers.
Safety Tips for Passengers.
- Tie your hair back.
- Use hand signals. Here’s a great breakdown of the signals you need to know from Autowise: Essential Motorcycle Hand Signals
- Sit close to your driver and go where your driver goes. If they lean slightly around turns, move slightly with them.
- Don’t wiggle.
- Wear a helmet, jacket, ankle covering shoes and long pants
Protect your budget.
Riding a motorcycle can bring you a lot of joy and freedom, but you’ll experience even more joy if you know you arent overpaying for your motorcycle insurance. With our multi-policy discounts, you could save some money. It’s worth quoting your motorcycle insurance to make sure you’re getting the best price. We’ll evaluate the best insurance coverage to keep you protected on the road, while also protecting your budget.