Summer in New Hampshire: Outdoor Work Precautions
Helpful tips for staying safe on the job during warm weather
As an outdoor worker in New Hampshire, it is important to take precautions against exposure to sun, heat, and bug bites during the summer months. Here are some tips to help keep yourself or your employees safe in the heat and warm weather conditions.
Sun Protection Tips
To protect against the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays, do the following:
• Wear lightweight, tightly woven clothing that you can’t see through.
• Use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 blocks 93 percent of UV rays.
• Wear a hat that protects your neck, ears, forehead, nose and scalp.
• Wear UV-absorbent sunglasses that block 99 to 100 percent of UVA and UVB radiation.
Heat Protection Tips
Heat can be a serious health threat during the summer months. Protect yourself in the following ways:
• Drink plenty of water before you get thirsty.
• Wear light, loose-fitting, breathable clothing such as dry-fit material.
• Eat small meals before work activity.
• Skip the caffeine and soda; drink water instead.
Tick Protection Tips
If you’re working in tall grass or wooded areas, here are some ways you can prevent ticks from biting:
• Wear light-colored clothing to see ticks more easily.
• Wear long sleeves and long pants.
• Tuck pant legs into socks or boots.
• Wear high boots or closed shoes that cover your feet completely.
• Wear a hat.
• Use tick repellants, but not on your face.
• Wash and dry your work clothes at high temperatures.
Examine your body for ticks after work, and remove any attached ticks promptly with a tweezers. If you get bit and develop a rash, see your doctor.
Insect Bites and Stings
Bee, wasp, hornet and yellow jacket stings are typically only dangerous to those who are allergic or have been stung multiple times.
• Wear bug repellant.
• Avoid wearing heavy perfumes or scented lotions.
• Check before drinking from cups, bottles or cans. Stinging insects are attracted to sweet drinks.
Be safe and healthy while working outdoors, with these helpful tips provided by Meredith Insurance Agency!
This flyer is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical or legal advice. © 2007-2010, 2018 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.